GREENMOUNT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH: A BRIEF HISTORY
This very informative, illustrated book explains the origins and introduces the founders of the Church and you will notice that, as late as the time of writing, the village name was two words, not one, as we know it today.
Green Mount acquired its first place of worship, the “Providence Independent Sunday School”, in a converted farm house at Hol House on 19th May 1844, thanks to the efforts of three men, Robert Hadfield, Samuel Knowles and Samuel Beswick, shown below.
These premises soon became inadequate and, in 1848, the Green Mount Church and Sunday School, the old part of what is now Greenmount Old School, was opened.
The first service in the new Church, now Greenmount United Refordmed Church, was on Sunday 24th February 1867.
The book provides much more detail of these key developments and goes on to discuss the history of the Church up to 1913, naming those who played key roles in its development. It is compelling reading for anyone interested in the history of the village.
The Church, in its prominent position, was and still is the focal point of the village, spiritually, socially and geographically. Copies of the book are available from Christine Taylor.